- Audio CD - 8+ hours Instructions
- Multi-disc audio recording with electronic manual and instructions.
- SHAUN GOULBOURNE, DHSC, PT, MTC, OCS, STC, CSCS, NSCA-CPT, CDEII
- PESI Rehab
- CE Available:
- Yes, See CE credit tab for complete continuing education details
- Product Code:
- Identify critical anatomy as it relates to pathology.
- Review best practices for medical screening.
- Discuss interview questions every clinician should ask.
- Recognize and synthesize symptoms that are concerning for medical pathology.
- Become familiar with various symptom clusters that could warrant referral.
- Utilize medical screening and differential diagnosis to guide a review of systems for your patients.
- Identify sinister medical pathology that oftentimes mimic neurological and musculoskeletal conditions.
- Identify hidden yellow flags to screen for depression.
- Develop and demonstrate clinical-decision making skills to guide hands-on assessment and intervention.
- Understand the difference between inductive and deductive reasoning while incorporating a bottom-up or top-down approach to patient care.
- Discuss strategies to assimilate information contained within clinical practice guidelines (CPG’s) and clinical prediction rules (CPR’s) and incorporate into your clinical decision-making and problem-solving.
- Apply the medical screening model discussed in this seminar to a series of interactive case scenarios.
Identify Common Pathologies by System
Discover an Efficient Framework for Consistent, Accurate Medical Screening
Signs and Symptoms of Serious Medical Pathologies
- Medical history
- Risk factors
- Interview questions
- Clinical presentation and associated symptoms
- Physical exam findings
- Understanding physician-ordered labs and imaging
How to Differentiate Medical Pathologies That Mimic Musculoskeletal Conditions
- Red flags
- Yellow flags
- Keys to spotting red and yellow flags early
Confidently Determine When to Treat, Refer, Or Both
- Topics include (but aren’t limited to):
- Gallbladder disease
- Liver/kidney disease
- Lung disease
- Gynecological conditions
Case Studies: Put Knowledge to Practice
- Clear, consistent clinical reasoning – step by step
- What to do when systemic, orthopedic, and neurologic conditions overlap
- Situations that require an urgent medical referral
- Identify the root cause of impairment
- Migraine vs. headache
- Dizziness vs. vertigo
- Meningitis vs herniated disc
- Femur/tibia fracture vs. muscle strain/tendinitis
- Anxiety/panic attack vs cardiovascular/cardiopulmonary disease
- Peripheral vascular disease vs intermittent claudication
- Hip flexor strain vs. abdominal infection
- Abdominal aortic aneurysm vs. umbilical hernia
- Shoulder/cervical muscle strain vs. hepatitis/cholecystitis
- Bring your own cases to discuss! (please redact patient identifiers)
SHAUN GOULBOURNE, DHSC, PT, MTC, OCS, STC, CSCS, NSCA-CPT, CDEII
Shaun Goulbourne, DHSc, PT, MTC, OCS, SCS, STC, CSCS, NSCA-PT, CDEll, is an expert in sports rehabilitation with over 20 years of experience guiding athletes to peak performance. His practice includes on- and off-site treatment of athletes, and he has extensive history playing and coaching competitive sports. Formerly an international basketball player, he serves as a coach with the Olympic Development Program for the United States Soccer Federation. In his spare time, he competes in marathons and full ironman events.
Dr. Goulbourne earned his Doctorate in health science with emphasis in orthopedics and sports medicine from the University of St. Augustine, and he holds numerous certifications in manual and sports therapy. He is a Sports Certified Specialist and Orthopedic Certified Specialist through the American Board of Physical Therapy, is an osteopractor through the American Spinal Manipulation Institute, and a Certified Strength and Conditioning Coach and Personal Trainer with the NSCA.
Financial: Shaun Goulbourne has an employment relationship with Intrepid USA. He receives a speaking honorarium from PESI, Inc.
Non-financial: Shaun Goulbourne is a member of the National Strength and Conditioning Association.
Continuing Education Credits
CE Information Coming Soon
Continuing education credit information is coming soon for this non-interactive self-study package.
CEs may be available for select professions, as listed in the target audience. Hours will be dependent on the actual recording time. Please check with your state licensing board or organization for specific requirements.
There may be an additional fee for CE certificates. Please contact our Customer Service at 1-800-844-8260 for more details.
**Materials that are included in this course may include interventions and modalities that are beyond the authorized practice of mental health professionals. As a licensed professional, you are responsible for reviewing the scope of practice, including activities that are defined in law as beyond the boundaries of practice in accordance with and in compliance with your professions standards.
- Physical Therapists
- Physical Therapist Assistants
- Occupational Therapists
- Occupational Therapy Assistants
- Athletic Trainers
- Strength and Conditioning Specialists
- Exercise Physiologists
- Nurse Practitioners
Your satisfaction is our goal and our guarantee. Concerns should be addressed to PESI Rehab, P.O. Box 1000, Eau Claire, WI 54702-1000 or call (800) 844-8260.
We would be happy to accommodate your ADA needs; please call our Customer Service Department for more information at (800) 844-8260.