includes free shipping
Now Available For Preorder
This item is expected to ship 4-6 weeks after the event on December 7, 2018.
- DVD Video - 4+ hours Instructions
- 6 hr 20 min
- Multi-disc DVD recording with electronic manual and instructions.
- SCOTT BERGLUND, OTR/L, MOT, BSHO, ATC
- PESI Inc.
- 12/7/2018 - Available Now for Pre-Order
- CE Available:
- Yes, See CE credit tab for complete continuing education details
- Product Code:
- Recognize the anatomy of the visual system in relation to the motor and auditory systems and how they work together to affect and rehabilitate visual issues.
- Determine functional movement, reflexes, and righting reactions and the influences on reading, handwriting, and play.
- Identify quick and easy ways to detect visual challenges in a child through his or her productivity and functional responses in various locations.
- Implement the treatment for parallel pathway learning by utilizing movement and balance.
- Discover positioning and its effect on visual processing, focus, eye teaming, and hand-eye speed.
- Demonstrate researched based visual rehabilitation techniques for unilateral neglect, visual perceptional challenges, ocular conditions, scotopic sensitivity and cross dominance.
ANATOMY OF THE VISUAL SYSTEM
VISUAL-MOTOR INTEGRATION IN THE BRAIN
- Pathway of sight
- Parallel pathways and the LGN
- Parvocellular retinal ganglion cells
- Magnocellular retinal ganglion cells
- Pathway overlap and short circuits (Dyslexia Theory)
- Primary visual areas
- Secondary visual areas
- Interpretation of these areas
POSITIONING, MOVEMENT, & THE EFFECTS ON VISION
- Primary motor pathway
- Cortical interactions between the motor system and the visual system
- Secondary visual area interaction
CROSS DOMINANCE: WHEN HAND DOMINANCE & EYE DOMINANCE DON’T MATCH
- Reflexes: acquiring visual-motor control
- Righting reactions: proprioception, vestibular, and visual system interaction
- Pelvic girdle: power, visual awareness, and alertness
- Shoulder girdle: head and neck control, ocular motor activation
UNILATERAL VISUAL NEGLECT
- Defining and identifying cross dominance
- Why do we have a dominant eye when half of each eye has control?
- Directionality and play issues
- Handwriting issues
- Reading challenges
- Treatment techniques and relationship to the brain
- Discrimination training
- Vertical midline activities
EYE TEAMING TRACKING & SACCADES
- Definition of neglect and the identification
- Issues during play, work, and school
- Handwriting clues associated with visual neglect
- Environmental adaptions
- Treatment techniques
- Reflex training
- Midline exercises
- Musculature of the eye
- What do problems look like?
- When should I treat and when should I refer?
- Reading problems
- Handwriting problems
- Gross motor problems
- Orthopedic pelvic dysfunctions
- Training and lab
- Focus/refocus exercises
- Motor system treatments
- Reading training
SCOTOPIC SENSITIVITY & ITS SECONDARY EFFECTS
- Understanding visual processing
- Visual spatial relations
- Visual figure ground
- Effects on handwriting
- Reading challenges
- Treatment techniques
- Space-moment and cortical learning
- Relationship to saccades and eye teaming
- Definition and theory
- Effects on visual pathways and secondary visual areas
- Treatment techniques and effect on visual spatial relations, tracking, and scanning
- Case study
SCOTT BERGLUND, OTR/L, MOT, BSHO, ATC
Scott Berglund, MOT, OTR/L, BSHO, ATC, is a licensed occupational therapist practicing in the state of Wyoming with an emphasis in pediatric for the past 17 years. As a visual rehabilitation specialist emphasizing in the importance of vision and movement, Mr. Berglund consulted on two research and development projects for Nike -the Tiger Woods sunglasses and Nike snow-vision system. In addition, he has shared his expertise in visual rehabilitation throughout the United States, teaching classes at the University of Wyoming, University of South Dakota, San Diego State University and doing research for the University of Utah. Currently he consults with doctors, teachers, school systems, private rehabilitation practices, and parents in twelve states.
Financial: Scott Berglund is owner and president of Silver Linings Therapy Group – CJB Enterprises, LLC. He receives a speaking honorarium from PESI, Inc.
Non-financial: Scott Berglund has no relevant non-financial relationship to disclose.
Continuing Education Credits
CE Information Coming Soon
Continuing education credit information is coming soon for this non-interactive self-study package.
CEs may be available for select professions, as listed in the target audience. Hours will be dependent on the actual recording time. Please check with your state licensing board or organization for specific requirements.
There may be an additional fee for CE certificates. Please contact our Customer Service at 1-800-844-8260 for more details.
**Materials that are included in this course may include interventions and modalities that are beyond the authorized practice of mental health professionals. As a licensed professional, you are responsible for reviewing the scope of practice, including activities that are defined in law as beyond the boundaries of practice in accordance with and in compliance with your professions standards.
Occupational Therapists, Occupational Therapy Assistants, Physical Therapists, Physical Therapist Assistants, Early Intervention Staff, Rehabilitation Nurses, Educators, Pediatric Nurses, School Nurses, and Case Managers
Your satisfaction is our goal and our guarantee. Concerns should be addressed to PESI Rehab, P.O. Box 1000, Eau Claire, WI 54702-1000 or call (800) 844-8260.
We would be happy to accommodate your ADA needs; please call our Customer Service Department for more information at (800) 844-8260.