Now Available For Preorder
This item is expected to ship 4-6 weeks after the event on April 3, 2019.
- DVD Video - 8+ hours Instructions
- 13 hr 0 min
- Multi-disc DVD recording with electronic manual and instructions.
- THERESA A. SCHMIDT, PT, DPT, MS, OCS, LMT, CEAS
- PESI Inc.
- 4/3/2019 - Available Now for Pre-Order
- CE Available:
- Yes, See CE credit tab for complete continuing education details
- Product Code:
- List physiological changes associated with aging
- Select and administer outcome measures to identify functional mobility and balance impairments in elders
- Apply integrative interventions, including manual therapy, fascial release, joint mobilization, therapeutic exercise, balance and neuromuscular re-education, and functional training to improve functional capacity in elders
- Identify alternative medicine approaches to improve mobility and balance, to reduce pain, and to improve functional quality of life
- Design an effective plan of care to produce a measurable difference in mobility, balance, pain and function
- Practice skilled documentation to show functional change using standardized exams
- Discuss current evidence regarding the efficacy of specific clinical interventions on functional outcomes in elders.
FUNCTIONAL MOBILITY AND BALANCE ASSESSMENT IN ELDERS
FUNCTION AND BALANCE ASSESSMENT
GAIT AND BALANCE ASSESSMENT TESTS
INTERVENTIONS TO ENHANCE BALANCE AND PREVENT FALLS
- Balance definitions, systems and strategies
- Aging process and epidemiology of falls
- Risk factors in aging, medications, medical and degenerative processes
- Exercise program design: Active Balance Clinic (ABC)
- Tai Chi
FUNCTIONAL OUTCOME TESTS DISCUSSION
- What studies say about balance tools and interventions
- Fall reduction, rates and risks
- AGS panel recommendations on balance
- Mini Mental Status Exam (MMSE)
- Montreal Cognitive Assessment (MOCA)
- Barthel Index
- Assessment of Motor and Process Skills (AMPS)
- Functional Autonomy Measurement System (SMAF)
INTERVENTIONS FOR PAIN REDUCTION, MOBILITY PROMOTION AND FUNCTION
- Lower extremity functional scales (LEFS)
- Disabilities of the arm, shoulder and hand (DASH)
- Measuring myofascial pain
- Trigger points
- Muscle weakness
IMPROVING MOBILITY, STRENGTH AND FUNCTION, AND REDUCING PAIN
- Manual therapy
- Neuromuscular techniques
- Integrative medicine
INTEGRATIVE MEDICINE AND HOLISTIC APPROACHES TO IMPROVE MOBILITY
- Myofascial release
- Positional release
- Joint mobilization
- Neuromuscular re-education
CASE STUDIES AND GROUP PROBLEM SOLVING
- Address behavioral and cognitive issues
- Reduce pain in elders
- Relaxation induction
THERESA A. SCHMIDT, PT, DPT, MS, OCS, LMT, CEAS
Theresa Schmidt, PT, DPT, MS, OCS, LMT, CEAS, CHy, DD, is a board-certified specialist in orthopedic physical therapy, massage therapist, certified professional speaker, Reiki Master, and hypnotherapist. Her work integrates the best of evidence-based traditional and alternative medicine with inspirational resources to achieve results that change lives. Dr. Schmidt received her Doctorate in Physical Therapy from University of New England and served as faculty of the Physical Therapy and PTA Programs at Touro College in New York City. She also served as adjunct professor at Nassau Community and CUNY Queens Colleges. She has presented internationally for Fascia Research Congress, hospitals, private companies, and clinics and is an accomplished published author.
Financial: Theresa Schmidt maintains a private practice. She receives a speaking honorarium from PESI, Inc.
Non-financial: Theresa Schmidt has no relevant non-financial relationship to disclose.
Continuing Education Credits
CE Information Coming Soon
Continuing education credit information is coming soon for this non-interactive self-study package.
CEs may be available for select professions, as listed in the target audience. Hours will be dependent on the actual recording time. Please check with your state licensing board or organization for specific requirements.
There may be an additional fee for CE certificates. Please contact our Customer Service at 1-800-844-8260 for more details.
**Materials that are included in this course may include interventions and modalities that are beyond the authorized practice of mental health professionals. As a licensed professional, you are responsible for reviewing the scope of practice, including activities that are defined in law as beyond the boundaries of practice in accordance with and in compliance with your professions standards.
- Physical Therapists
- Physical Therapist Assistants
- Occupational Therapists
- Certified Occupational Therapy Assistants
- Exercise Physiologists
- Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialists
- Personal Trainers
- Nursing Home Administrators
Your satisfaction is our goal and our guarantee. Concerns should be addressed to PESI Rehab, P.O. Box 1000, Eau Claire, WI 54702-1000 or call (800) 844-8260.
We would be happy to accommodate your ADA needs; please call our Customer Service Department for more information at (800) 844-8260.