Now Available For Preorder
This item is expected to ship 4-6 weeks after the event on April 10, 2019.
- Audio CD - 4+ hours Instructions
- 6 hr 20 min
- Multi-disc audio recording with electronic manual and instructions.
- PAMELA G. MALKOFF HAYES, MFT, ATR-BC
- PESI Inc.
- 4/10/2019 - Available Now for Pre-Order
- CE Available:
- Yes, See CE credit tab for complete continuing education details
- Product Code:
- Implement more than 3 dozen specific art techniques that will enhance the treatment of people suffering from anxiety, depression, chronic pain and addictions.
- Acquire skills and understanding of how to effectively combine art and traditional talk therapy in both group and individual counseling sessions.
- Examine how the art techniques can help our clients learn to tolerate frustration, sit with uncomfortable feelings, and stop those catastrophizing thoughts.
- Experience, first hand, how art can provide a sense of calm, mindfulness, and gratitude for life.
- Building new skills through the art process to combat negative self talk to push through fears and anxiety, instead of turning to other self-destructive behavior (IE: drugs, food, sex or isolation)
- Combine art interventions with classic CBT skills and change the thought process to transform the lives of our clients.
- Connect the science behind the changes that occur in our brains when engaged in creative activities.
ART THERAPY – WHAT IT IS AND WHAT IT ISN’T
ART THERAPY FOR ANXIETY AND DEPRESSION
Create new neural pathways for trauma related anxiety, PTSD and/or depression
- History of Art Therapy and the Multiple Ways it is Applied
- Engaging in art changes our emotional response to memories of trauma
- Case studies including: Female understands herself and her relationship more clearly after completing and talking about a drawing
- Art participation: bypass fears of perfectionism and the “I can’t draw” voice
ART THERAPY FOR CHRONIC PAIN
Create a sense of mindfulness, distraction and integration for physical and emotional pain
- CBT, Positive Psychology Separating physiological sensations from fears that cause panic attacks
- Externalize and contain fears
- Stopping the automatic negative thoughts (ANTs)
- Art techniques to practice mindfulness and focus
- Challenge and change catastrophizing thoughts
- Case studies including: College student struggling with generalized anxiety
- Art Participation: Technique to express, face and destroy fears
ART THERAPY WITH ADDICTIONS
Techniques to tolerate frustration and uncomfortable feelings
- Address chronic pain with understanding and provide hope
- Listening to the pain without it defining you
- Case studies including: An adult male with severe back pain
- Art experiential: Opportunity to express and release pain, and build something new out of it
CHANGE PERSPECTIVES AND MOVE TOWARD OVERALL MENTAL WELLNESS
- Examples of self-destructive behaviors in addictions
- Dangers of automatic negative thought processing Interrupt and discourage avoidance and escape
- Case studies including: Groups in drug treatment center
- Art participation: Address fear of making mistakes and allow for trying new things - encourages individual creativity within a safe structure
- Rebuild a new belief system combining CBT, Positive Psychology, Narrative Therapy, Mindfulness, Meditation and Art Therapy
- Recognize holding onto past hurt and anger and learning to let go
- Examples of living a life of gratitude
- Case studies including: Clients learning to release and transform fears into hope
- Art Participation: create a gratitude tree
- Practice mindfulness, acceptance, and letting go of unrealistic expectations
- Art Therapy techniques to help set aside ego fueled thoughts and behaviors and increase a connection to others
- Current research and limitations reviewed
PAMELA G. MALKOFF HAYES, MFT, ATR-BC
Pamela Malkoff Hayes, MFT, ART-BC is a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (MFT) in the state of California and a Registered and Board Certified Art Therapist with the American Art Therapy Association (AATA). Her specialties include: alcohol and drug addictions, relationship and parenting, depression and anxiety, grief, LGBTQ, gender identity and sexuality. She is also a court certified Sexual Abuse Evaluator and trained in Hypnotherapy, Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing (EMDR) and Emotional Freedom Techniques (EFT).
Ms. Hays has a Bachelors Degree in fine arts from Parsons School of Design in New York, NY and Otis/Parsons in Los Angeles, CA and a Graduate Degree in marriage and family therapy and art therapy from The Notre Dame de Namur University in Belmont, CA.
Over the course of her 25 + year career she has worked in schools, hospitals, prison, foster, and residential care, and private practice. Ms. Malkoff Hayes lives in Los Angeles where she has a private practice and provides art therapy groups to multiple drug treatment centers. She is a noted speaker and educator, lecturing throughout the United States. She has taught art therapy courses at Phillips Graduate University, Rhode Island School of Design (RISD), and Chicago School for Professional Psychology. She has written several books and produced several DVDs and online classes on art therapy. She stars in the video podcast, “3 Minute Art Therapy”, and was recently featured on “The Science of Happiness/SoulPancake” as the expert art therapist.
Financial: Pamela Malkoff Hayes is in private practice. She receives a speaking honorarium from PESI, Inc.
Non-financial: Pamela Malkoff Hayes has no relevant non-financial relationship to disclose.
Continuing Education Credits
CE Information Coming Soon
Continuing education credit information is coming soon for this non-interactive self-study package.
CEs may be available for select professions, as listed in the target audience. Hours will be dependent on the actual recording time. Please check with your state licensing board or organization for specific requirements.
There may be an additional fee for CE certificates. Please contact our Customer Service at 1-800-844-8260 for more details.
**Materials that are included in this course may include interventions and modalities that are beyond the authorized practice of mental health professionals. As a licensed professional, you are responsible for reviewing the scope of practice, including activities that are defined in law as beyond the boundaries of practice in accordance with and in compliance with your professions standards.
- Marriage and Family Therapists
- Social Workers
- Art Therapists
- Pastoral Counselors
- Psychiatric Nurses
- Substance Abuse Counselors
- Guidance Counselors
- Occupational and Recreational Therapists
- Speech-Language Pathologists
Your satisfaction is our goal and our guarantee. Concerns should be addressed to PESI Rehab, P.O. Box 1000, Eau Claire, WI 54702-1000 or call (800) 844-8260.
We would be happy to accommodate your ADA needs; please call our Customer Service Department for more information at (800) 844-8260.